あおぞら財団 The Land Then & Now
Home » Language » English » Nishiyodogawa Field Museum » The Land Then & Now

The Land Then & Now

The present Nishiyodogawa area was originally surrounded by rivers and islands, making it a productive natural environment with broad expanses of rice paddies and fields. This is the reason for many local place names combining -shima (“island”). Since the mid part of the near-modern period, the people here quickly opened up much new land to rice agriculture. As one can see from the map, many small rivers formed a network throughout this area. The area comprising the present Konohana Ward, Nishiyodogawa Ward, and Amagasaki City in neighboring Hyogo Prefecture was originally a mixture of these elements, but took on its present appearance after the creation of Shinyodo-gawa.

map1839
Map of the area in the Edo Period (1839)

map1885
In the year 1885

map1909
In the year 1909

Note: The photos are from a collection published by the Executive Committee on the 70th Anniversary of Nishiyodogawa’s Ward Status.

Local Place Names in the River Community

Type of Name Place Name
Islands Dekijima, Utajima, Takejima, Nakajima, Nishijima, Himejima, Hyakushima,
Mitejima
Rivers Chibune, Hanagawa
Fields and paddies Ono, Owada, Kashiwazato, Nozato, Himezat

River Community

The Land then & Now(Here) | The Way It Was>> | Life Long Ago>>>>

Index of Nishiyodogawa Field Museum