Having become an industrialized area under the wartime economy, Nishiyodogawa invited numerous air raids upon itself during World War II. Great damage was inflicted upon the towns of Himejima, Tsukuda, Owada, Mitejima, Hanagawa, and Nozato, where residential areas has developed along the Hanshin Highway.
Air Raids on Nishiyodogawa Ward
|Damage Suffered in Nishiyodogawa Ward|
|No. of households||No. of people||Dead||Injured||Missing|
1st major air raid
2nd major air raid
|N & W Osaka||186||689||5||32||1|
3rd major air raid
4th major air raid
|Unattacked parts of Osaka
5th major air raid
Osaka Army Ordnance Plant
1. According to Osaka Prefectural Police Reports
2. Prepared from: Oyama, Hitoshi: History of Air Pollution
Damage in Nishiyodogawa, Toho Publishing, 1988.
War Dead in Nishiyodogawa Ward
|70 or over||5||7||12|
1. Ages use the traditional calendar-year method.
2. According to reports from the Nishiyodogawa Ward Office.
3. According to Oyama (above).